Thursday 31 December 2009

Putting the Christ back in Christmas


                                                       (photo -  Peter Fingleton)

Say what you like about the Catholic Church, they know how to put on a good show. I'm back home in Dublin for Christmas, and last week I spent a lovely afternoon reacquainting myself with the nativity story at  the movin' crib on Parnell Square. The Crib is a series of 12 tableaux depicting scenes from the Old and New Testemant, populated by an insane cast of animatronic angels, shepherds, virgins, whores, priests, sword swallowers and negros. Not to mention Santa Claus. It's the only nativity story where the three wise men rub shoulders with the three little pigs. Truely this is one of the seven wonders of the Irish Catholic World.

The crib dates from the 1950s and I noticed a worrying amount of exposed wiring on the Angel Gabriel, so go see it before it collapses or combusts. And check out my video!

No comments:

Post a Comment