Wednesday 19 January 2011

I'm an Indian too


From misogyny to racism -  "I'm an Indian too" began life as a showtune in Irving Berlin's musical "Annie Get Your Gun". It ended up sparking protests, with Native Americans picketing outside theatres. I wish I could embed a clip from the film but the only site that has it is TCM and they won't let me, so if you want to see Betty Hutton getting savage with the Sioux then follow this link

The song has an impressive gay pedigree - it was original written for Ethel Merman, Judy Garland recorded it for the film version shortly before she was fired from the starring role (there's a clip of her performance here) and mommie dearest Debbie Reynolds  performed it in a 1970's revival. 

Anyhow here's Don Armando's weird 70's mutant disco version, featuring a sexier squaw than poor old Ethel.


Don Armando's 2nd Avenue Rumba Band - I'm an Indian too

No comments:

Post a Comment