Friday 6 November 2009

Lust for X



"A lifetime of disco music is a high price to pay for one's sexual preference"
                                                                           - Quentin Crisp

I don't like to disagree with Quentin, but I think its a bonus. Gina X's disco classic No GDM draws upon Crisps idea of the great dark man, his self hating sexual fantasy of a lover who 'if he met me...would not love me. If he did love me, he could not be my Great Dark Man.'

According to Gina X's bio-page Gina met Crisp in New York in the '80s and they became friends. I can't imagine him liking the song much but I'm sure he would have been too polite to say it to her face.
Nice Mover is a similarly beautiful piece of narcotic disco with icy detached vocals, also off their debut album.

Gina X - No GDM
Gina X - Nice Mover

No comments:

Post a Comment