Thursday 11 February 2010

The Lexicon of Love #4: Possession


The night we met I knew I needed you so
And if I ever had the chance I'd never let you go


Last year Phil Spector was finally found guilty of shooting Lana Clarkson, and on the basis of his mugshot I think it's a miracle the jury took so long to convict. There are so many amazing stories about Spector's freakishly possessive attitude towards woman, my favourites are those that relate to his marraige with Ronette Bennett of The Ronnettes fame. Like how, on the rare occasions he allowed Ronette out of the house unaccompanied, she had to have a life size cardboard cut off of Phil beside her in the car's passenger seat. Or the one about the time a friend was playing pool with Spector at his mansion when he became aware of a distant thumping sound.
“I said, ‘Phil, what’s that?’ And he said, ‘I locked Ronnie in the closet’. And there she was, cowering inside.”
Or the time he showed his wife a gold coffin with a glass top and promised to kill her and display her inside if she ever left him. Now there's a bio-pic waiting to happen.


'Tonight You Belong To Me' is a sickly sweet love song that candy coats it's sinister message. A cover of Gene Austins 1927 original, Patience and Prudence had a huge hit with it in 1956.

Patience and Prudence - Tonight You Belong To Me

No comments:

Post a Comment